Throughout its long production run, the venerable GM LS engine came from the factory in a wide range of displacements, from a modest 4.8L to a whopping 7.0L. So if you’re thinking about an LS engine swap, LS engine build, or LS engine upgrade, the first place you’ll likely start looking is at the LS motor’s displacement.
This handy LS resource page is a good one to bookmark if you’re considering an LS crate engine for a swap, or looking for a 5.7L LS short block to use a basis for a high horsepower build.
Learn more about each LS engine displacement:
* 4.8L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.3L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.7L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.2L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 7.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
The 5.7L LS1 & LS6
Every superhero needs a good origin story (yes, even Wolverine), and the 5.7L LS1 is the LS family’s. Introduced in the 1997 Corvette C5, the LS1 and later LS6 wound up in GM’s performance oriented cars: the Corvette, Camaro, Firebird/Trans Am, GTO, and CTS-V. The LS1 began the LS engine legacy and ushered in a new era in the GM V8 development.
You may also want to check out our Definitive Guide to LS Engine Specs and LS Engine Upgrades.
5.7L LS Engine Specs
As mentioned earlier, there are two 5.7L LS engines to choose from. Check out the table below, and click the hyperlinks on the particular LS engine name (LS1 or LS6) to learn more.
5.7L LS Engine Spec Guide
|Years||Liter||Code||Vehicle||Cam Bolts||Reluctor||VVT||AFM||Flex Fuel||VIN|
|1997-04||5.7||LS1||F-Body, C5, GTO||3||24x||No||No||No||G||Alum.||Cathedral|
|2001-05||5.7||LS6||C5 Z06, CTS-V||3||24x||No||No||No||S||Alum.||Cathedral|
Looking for an 5.7L LS Engine?
Here are two LS Engine Spotter’s Guides that will help:
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 1: Matching the Vehicle to the Engine
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 2: Matching the Engine to the Vehicle
LS Engine Swap Parts Guide
Our friends over at Summit Racing developed a helpful resource that’ll give you an idea of some of the parts you’ll need to complete your LS engine swap—including specific LS swap requirements for exact vehicle models. You can check it out here: