If you’re thinking about an LS engine swap, LS engine build, or LS engine upgrade, the first place you’ll likely start looking is at the LS motor’s displacement. And that’s why we’re writing this series of tech posts. It’ll break down each of the LS engine’s most popular displacements.
Learn more about each LS engine displacement:
* 4.8L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.3L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.7L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.2L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 7.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
This handy LS resource page is a good one to bookmark if you’re considering an LS crate engine for a swap, or looking for a 5.3L LS short block to use a basis for a high horsepower build.
You may also want to check out our Definitive Guide to LS Engine Specs and LS Engine Upgrades.
The 5.3L LS Engine Family
The 5.3L LS, or Vortec 5300, is primarily a truck/SUV engine that spanned both the Gen. III and Gen. IV versions of the GM LS lifespan. It’s essentially a longer-stroke version of the 4.8L LS and powered vehicles such as the Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, and Escalade. The engine is made with both cast iron blocks (LM7) and aluminum versions (LM4 and L33). The later Gen. IV versions incorporate newer technology such GM’s Active Fuel Management and could also be found in passenger cars (LS4) like the Impala and Monte Carlo.
The 5.3L family is one of the more popular swap options. It was the most-produced engine from the Gen. III, IV, and V eras, and there are plenty of these engines lying around in cast iron and aluminum form. GM 5.3L LS engines can had at a reasonable and can be made to produce very good power with the variety of aftermarket upgrades available.
Your hunt for the right 5.3L engine starts with this spec chart:
5.3L LS Engine Spec Guide
|Years||Liter||Code||Vehicle||Cam Bolts||Reluctor||VVT||AFM||Flex Fuel||VIN|
Looking for an 5.3L LS Engine?
Here are two LS Engine Spotter’s Guides that will help:
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 1: Matching the Vehicle to the Engine
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 2: Matching the Engine to the Vehicle
LS Engine Swap Parts Guide
Our friends over at Summit Racing developed a helpful resource that’ll give you an idea of some of the parts you’ll need to complete your LS engine swap—including specific LS swap requirements for exact vehicle models. You can check it out here: