For well over two decades, GM put LS engines in everything from sports cars to cargo vans. That means the factory produced the LS in a range of displacements, starting at 4.8L and topping out at 7.0L. So if you’re thinking about an LS engine swap, LS engine build, or LS engine upgrade, the first number you’ll probably look at is displacement.
This handy LS resource page is a good one to bookmark if you’re considering an LS crate engine for a swap, or looking for a 4.8L LS short block to start a project.
Learn more about each LS engine displacement:
* 4.8L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.3L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 5.7L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 6.2L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
* 7.0L LS Engine Guide: Block Specs, Swap Resources & Build Info
The 4.8L LS Engine Family
With the smallest displacement of all the engines in the LS lineage, the 4.8L is probably the closest you’ll get to an “under-the-radar” LS. But that’s good news for you, because they’re often easy to come by in junkyards and relatively cheap. Yet thanks to an iron block, the 4.8L LS can support big horsepower, particularly if you’re adding forced induction like a turbo or supercharger.
You may also want to check out our Definitive Guide to LS Engine Specs and LS Engine Upgrades.
4.8L LS Engine Specs
Regardless of what your engine plans are, knowing the distinction between the specific 4.8L LS motors is important. You can see all of the different 4.8L GM LS engines in the chart below, then click on each specific LS engine name (LR4, L20, LY2) to get other vital engine data like general performance, bore & stroke, cylinder head design, cam specs, and more.
4.8L LS & Vortec Engine Spec Guide
|Years||Liter||Code||Vehicle||Cam Bolts||Reluctor||VVT||AFM||Flex Fuel||VIN (8th Digit)||Block||Head|
Looking for a 4.8L LS Engine?
We put together a pair of LS Engine Spotter’s Guides to help you find one.
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 1: Matching the Vehicle to the Engine
- LS Engine Spotter’s Guide, Part 2: Matching the Engine to the Vehicle
LS Engine Swap Parts Guide
The tech pros over at Summit Racing created a handy page that’ll give you an idea of some of the parts you’ll need to complete your LS engine swap—including specific LS swap requirements for exact vehicle models. You can check it out here: