Mailbag: Identifying the Manual Transmission in the 2001 Ford Mustang

This is a T-45 transmission in an SN-95 Ford Mustang. (Image/AllFordMustangs.com)

Q: How do I tell the difference between a Tremec 3650 and a T-5 transmission in my Mustang?

A: In 2001, Ford used two different manual transmissions in that year’s SN-95 Mustang. The easiest way to tell them apart is to look for the drain plug.

The T-5 (T-45) transmission has the drain plug on the passenger side of the transmission case.

The TR3650 transmission has the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission case, pointing straight down toward the ground.

Learn more about identifying automotive transmission here, including this visual chart from Holley showcasing manual transmissions specifically.

This is another in a series of weekly Q&A Mailbag sessions with Summit Racings tech department, in which there are hundreds more. Click here to see them all.

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.