Q: A couple of questions.

First, I have a 1984 Chevy S-10 pickup with a 2.8L V6 and a 5-speed manual transmission, and I want to change things up a bit. What would I have to change to convert my truck to a V8, and can you recommend any particular products to use?

Also, I have an old engine block that a friend gave to me. He said it was a 305, but he wasn’t sure what year it was produced. Is there any way to figure out when this block was made?

A: Putting a V8 into is S-10 is a popular mod and there are a variety of parts available to make the swap easier.

Since you didn’t mention whether the truck is 2WD or 4WD, it’s difficul to make specific recommendations, but to get started, you’ll need new engine mounts and a larger radiator. You will also have to change the crossmember and the transmission.

Hooker makes engine swap headers and motor mounts for 2WD trucks that work together to minimize fitment issues, so that’s an excellent way to go if your S-10 is 2WD.

To date your 305 block, you’ll need the casting number, which you can find on the front of the block near the water pump. Once you have the number, you can look it up in reference books or online, like this casting numbers list from Rod Authority.

Share this Article