For the past few months, we’ve been showcasing builds from the “Fully Torqued” show on The History Channel, including a 1971 Chevy C10 and a 1966 Ford Mustang. These classic rides are brought back to life by shop owner Steve Pazmany and his mentor Uncle ″Bird” Betts, an old-school rodder with deep roots in California drag racing.
We include a parts list with each story that you can use as a guide if you want to build something similar.
Take this Monte Carlo SS from Episode 8. Steve’s buddy John wanted a nice, clean GM G-body. Steve found one on the side of the road covered with a couple of tarps and cardboard around the wheels. The owner came out, money changed hands, and Steve had himself a Monte with 13,000 miles on the clock—a true poster child for survivor cars.
A thorough examination revealed an incredibly clean, unmolested car, right down to the GM-stamped radiator hoses. All it really needed were some maintenance items—a new radiator, water pump, and other cooling system parts; new brakes and shocks; filters; and fluids. Bird didn’t like the bit of rust on the Monte Carlo’s headlight filler panels and air intake box cover so those were replaced with new stainless steel parts. Fully Torqued added some class with a set of new tires on 17 inch American Racing VN507 wheels. Our parts combo includes Michelin Sport Pilot 4 tires and U.S. Mags Rambler wheels that are a very close match to the American Racing rims.
This Monte Carlo SS is a great example of finding a nice car that needs just a bit of TLC to get back on the road.
They’re out there, so start hunting.
“Fully Torqued” 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Parts List
- ACDelco Mechanical Water Pump
- ACDelco Radiator
- ACDelco Fan Clutch
- ACDelco Radiator Cap
- Continental Lower Radiator Hose
- Continental Upper Radiator Hose
- ACDelco Thermostat
- ACDelco Thermostat Housing
Chassis & Brakes
- ACDelco Remanufactured Brake Caliper with Pads, Passenger Side
- ACDelco Remanufactured Brake Caliper with Pads, Driver Side
- ACDelco Front Brake Hose
- ACDelco Rear Brake Shoes
- ACDelco Drum Brake Hardware Kit
- ACDelco Brake Drum
- Dorman Lug Nut and Wheel Lock Set
- ACDelco Gas-Charged Front Shock
- ACDelco Gas-Charged Rear Shock
- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Front Tire, 235/45-17
- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Rear Tire, 255/45-17
- U.S. Mags Rambler Gloss Black Wheel, 17 x 7
- U.S. Mags Rambler Gloss Black Wheel, 17 x 8
- RESTOPARTS Headlight Opening Filler Panels
- RESTOPARTS Air Intake Box Cover
- Lloyd Ultimats Custom Floor Mats
- ACDelco Fuel Filter
- Fram Transmission Filter
- Stant Locking Fuel Filler Cap
- ACDelco Oil Filter
- Fairchild Industries Window Felt Seals
- Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil, 5W30
- Driven Racing GL-4 Gear Oil, 80W90
- Zerex Original Green 50/50 Engine Coolant
- AC Delco DOT 3 Brake Fluid
- Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Moly-Fortified Wheel Bearing Grease
- Summit Racing Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner
- Summit Racing Semi-Gloss Chassis Paint
- Summit Racing Gloss Chassis Paint