You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers. We work with the Summit Racing tech department to help you tackle your auto-related conundrums. In this week’s Mailbag, we’re recommending a parts combo to get 400+ horsepower from a Pontiac 400 engine.
Q: I want to build a Pontiac 400 engine. What parts would I need to build a sweet-running engine that makes around 400 horsepower? (Money is no issue!)
A: We think the Edelbrock Performer RPM package would be ideal for you. Here are the parts you’ll need:
- Edelbrock Performer intake manifold
- Edelbrock Performer cam and lifter set
- Edelbrock Performer aluminum cylinder heads
- Edelbrock Performer head bolt kit
- Edelbrock Performer 750 cfm carburetor
The Edelbrock cylinder heads have Ram Air exhaust IV ports—so you should use this set of Hedman headers. Keep your compression ratio at about 9.5:1.
According to Edelbrock, this combo will yield 422 horsepower and 441 foot-pounds of torque on pump gas.