Q: I’m building a fuel system for my 1969 Chevelle. I plan on running an electric fuel pump that puts out a maximum pressure of 14 psi. What type of fuel pressure regulator should I use?

A: You can use a bypass (return) on a non-return style fuel pressure regulator. A bypass regulator sends unused fuel back to your fuel tank. This takes the load off of the fuel pump’s internal bypass, so the pump can run cooler and quieter, with prolonged service life. You’ll have to plumb a return line back to the fuel tank. In some cases, it may be possible to return the fuel to the lower portion of the fuel-filler tube, eliminating fuel tank removal and fabrication. A non-return style regulator can be more cost effective and simpler to install, as it will not require a separate return line.

This is another in a series of weekly Q&A Mailbag sessions with Summit Racing‘s tech department, in which there are hundreds more. Click here to see them all

Share this Article
Author: Dave Matthews

Dave Matthews was a mechanic for the U.S. Army, a Ford dealership, and served for many years as a fleet mechanic for construction companies. Now a technical content producer at Summit Racing, Dave has spent decades working on everything from military vehicles to high performance race machines.