This year marks the 40th anniversary of “Smokey and the Bandit.”
The movie, which follows Bandit’s (Burt Reynolds) high-speed mission to fetch bootlegged beer for a wealthy family of race car sponsors, ends in Atlanta, GA. So it’s only fitting that organizers of the Summit Racing Equipment Atlanta Motorama pay homage to the movie with a “Smokey and the Bandit” display.
The Atlanta Motorama, which takes place April 22-23 at Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, GA, will feature replicas of Bandit’s 1977 Trans-Am, Snowman’s tractor trailer, and Smokey’s mangled patrol car. The replicas are owned by Tyler Hambrick, a “Smokey and the Bandit” enthusiast who organizes the annual Snowman’s run that traces the movie’s original cross-country route.
Several scenes from “Smokey and the Bandit” were filmed at Atlanta Motor Speedway as well as nearby locations in Jonesboro and McDonough, GA.
Beyond the Bandit
The “Smokey and the Bandit” display is just one of many exhibits at the Summit Racing Equipment Atlanta Motorama. Georgia’s Motoring Festival will feature a gigantic car show with more than 35 car clubs participating.
And that’s just the start.
Here’s what else this massive event features:
- Million Dollar Salon with cars from the 1930s and older
- Show Car Garage with 21 award-winning vehicles from across the country—ISCA champions, Ridler finalists, and more
- Vintage Trailers display
- Bikefest showcasing the best custom-built, vintage, and competition bikes
- Collector Car Auction
- BIGFOOT Car-Crushing Exhibition
- TeamFMX Motocross Shows
- Speedway Cruise around Atlanta Motor Speedway’s legendary track at the end of each day (free to all show car entries)
- Free Autocross course
- Pinstripers showcase
- Huge Manufacturer Midway, Swap Meet, and Car Corral
- Atlanta BBQ Classic barbecue competition ($5 gets you five 1-oz. samples)
For more information, visit the Atlanta Motor Speedway website.