Automotive & Aftermarket News / News & Car Culture

R.I.P., James Best: The 10 Cars We Hope Rosco P. Coltrane Meets in Heaven

James Best as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane (Image courtesy of USAToday.com).

James Best as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane (Image courtesy of USAToday.com).

Actor James Best passed away yesterday at the age of 88.

Best is probably known most for his role as the hapless Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane on TV’s The Dukes of Hazzard series. Coltrane’s utter confusion, inability to drive, and inferior automobile (a Dodge Monaco) helped make the General Lee a legend. It was Rosco–played masterfully by Best–who helped elevate the 1969 Dodge Charger from a great muscle car to an American cultural icon.

Still, there was something about Rosco P. Coltrane that we (and even the Dukes) loved. He was the lovable loser. As such, we’d like to think he’s in a better place–a place with better police cars to help him track down the Dukes just once.

So, in honor of James Best, here are the 10 fastest police cars in the world, as compiled by the website CheatSheet.com. They are the 10 cars we hope Rosco P. Coltrane meets in heaven. “I love it, I love it!”

3706140277_6b212b0e7e_z
14164274930_59c9994439_z
SpykerSpyder
ABT_R8_GTR
2975689533_13c4943a20_z
10706664294_2fbb693d77_z
10706207916_310e17596b_z
Aston-Martin-One-77-Dubai-Police
2976534196_b056f08ec4_z
Bugatti-Veyron-Police

10. Lexus IS-F (United Kingdom): 168 mph top speed and 416 horsepower.

9. Ariel Atom (United Kingdom): 168 mile-per-hour top speed; 2.5-second 0-60 time.

8. Spyker C8 Spyder (Netherlands): 186 mile-per-hour top speed; 0-60 miles-per-hour in 4.5 seconds.

7. Audi R8 GTR (Germany): 202 miles-per-hour top speed and 620 horsepower.

6. Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 (Italy): 203 mile-per-hour top speed and 560 horsepower.

5. Ferrari FF (UAE): 208 mile-per-hour top speed; 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

4. Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 (UAE): 217 mile-per-hour top speed; 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

3. Aston Martin One-77 (UAE): 220 mile-per-hour top speed; 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

2. Brabus Rocket (Germany): 225 mile-per-hour top speed: 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

1. Bugatti Veryron (UAE): 268 mile-per-hour top speed; 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.

Tags: , ,

1. claudette allen says:

So sorry ,but on the oyher hnd ,too bad we don,t have more cops with a sense of humor ,u had ,R<I,P,,ROSCO

2. Jim coles says:

He was a good actor I like the show the dukes

3. Jerry Dillon says:

Rosco you made the show! RIP my friend!

4. Stuart Haywood says:

Just stand by the gate and wait…
    You can catch them “Duke boys”as they come thru the gate… Rest well.

5. ewwwww,ewwwww RIP Roscoe……

6. I lived in Inverness fl and James best used to shop at my family bakery every week. I even sat next to him at the movies once. Cinema on the square in Inverness he was a good man

7. Joe & sharon says:

May God rest you’re soul Mr. Best . You will be missed.

8. Rip our beloved rosco

9. So sad.I grew up watching the dukes you uncle Jesse and boss Hogg gotta lot of catching up to do. RIP Sheriff…

10. Allan Franklin says:

I grew up with the dukes of hazard as well and I am glad I own the whole set and even the cartoons

11. William Cross says:

Gd Bless Him..

12. Nikolaos G. Stathatos says:

R.I.P. Mr. Best… Your greek Dukes of Hazzard fans will miss you… RIP Sheriff….

13. Stuart Alvis says:

I always watched it with my dad and younger brother I know are dad loved it as we did very good times rip you will be missed

14. Roscoe never drove a Monaco. He drove a Plymouth Fury that had the capability to magically morph into an AMC Ambassador and back, but no Monaco….

15. jorge gabriel says:

Show..the best

16. He was also on the Andy Griffin show & appeared in lot’s of early cowboy movies

17. You will be missed Roscoe. In heaven lil buddy if you happen to land in a pond, it will be so beautiful and perfect you want wanna call cooter. You and flash enjoy ur eternity in heaven and in that perfect pond.