OK, we’ve had several people ask for the specs on the Summit Racing/Factory Five MK4 roadster project. You ask, and we deliver—sort of.
In today’s post, we’ll show you what the guys at SKJ Customs received from Factory Five as part of the kit. We’ll give you the rundown of what Summit Racing used to complete the project in an upcoming post.
Remember, Summit Racing will offer the parts and accessories it supplied in pre-packaged kits so you can duplicate the build yourself…if that’s your thing.
So without further ado (sorry for the delay)—here’s what Factory Five supplied:
The Factory Five Racing MK4 frame is a complete jig-welded original style four-inch round tube frame, which includes all mounts ready to accept small block Ford and 1987-2004 Mustang running gear. It comes powdercoated in gloss black, includes a three-point roll bar, and also includes mounts to accept a passenger-side roll bar.
The hand-laid 3/16-inch laminate composite body and panels are made with vinylester resin. The body comes with driver and passenger doors, hood and centered hood scoop, trunk, trim, fasteners, and weatherstripping. You also get hinge kits for the doors, hood, and trunk.
Chassis Aluminum Panels
The Factory Five Racing kit includes over 40 CNC-cut, pre-formed 6061-T6 aluminum panels for the cockpit, trunk, and engine bay. Here’s what you get:
- 1200 pre-packaged rivets1/8-inch short & long, 3/16-inch short & long
- Complete Mk4 cockpit aluminum with optional block-off plates and patch covers
- Engine bay aluminum assembly with aluminum nose sections and splash guards
- Aluminum trunk liner has been replaced by molded trunk liner
Complete Front Suspension
The front suspension includes unequal-length A-arm control arms and a coil-over shock suspension. The suspension includes Koni mono-tube shock absorbers, a coil-over kit with 500-pound performance springs, adjustable upper control arms with ball joints, lower tubular control arms with ball joints, and Grade 8 mounting hardware.
Complete Rear Suspension
This rear suspension includes a Factory Five Racing deluxe three-link suspension kit complete with rear-end brackets, upper link kit and fasteners, and a panhard bar kit with rod-ends and Grade 8 fasteners. Other features include:
- Koni mono-tube shock absorbers
- Coil-over kit for the Koni dampers: spring hat, threaded seat and 350-pound black powdercoated performance springs
- Factory Five tubular rear lower control arms with polyurethane bushings and fasteners
Complete Front Brake Kit
The brake kit includes SN95-style spindles and spindle adapter brackets with fasteners. You get Ford GT 11-inch front rotors with twin piston calipers, brake pads, and fasteners. Plus, you get the front hubs, fasteners, and dust covers and a master cylinder with front stainless steel braided brake line and fasteners. Pre-flared 3/16-inch brake line with a brake line T-adapter and emergency brake handle and cable complete the system.
Complete Steering System
The steering system utilizes a 15:1 manual rack—everything from tie-rod ends and fasteners to vintage steering wheel and badges. The system includes polyurethane steering rack bushings and fasteners, a steering rack shaft adapter 9/16-26 spline, a nickel plated lower steering shaft (fully welded u-joints), collapsible upper steering shaft, 14-inch vintage wood and aluminum steering wheel with boss and ceramic F5R center section and fasteners, and steering bearings and hardware.
Fuel System Parts
Based on an OEM style fuel tank and system (external fuel pump required), the fuel system comes with these parts:
- OEM style fuel tank with mounting straps and hardware, vents, gaskets, pick-up, and fuel level sending unit
- Fuel lines, connectors, filler neck, and fasteners
- Pre-flared fuel lines (1/4-inch and 5/16-inch) wtth unions, barbs, hose clamps, and high-press flex lines and fasteners
- Aston LeMans style polished aluminum fuel cap with integral pressure cap
- 3/8-inch fuel filter with connectors and hose clamps
Cooling System Parts
The cooling system includes an aluminum radiator and an electric cooling fan with mounting hardware, extensions for radiator hoses, and all necessary fasteners. You also get a radiator mount kit with fasteners, radiator cap, stainless steel radiator hose, overflow tank, and 185-degree thermostat switch and housing.
Engine Accessories/Side Exhaust/Mounts
The Mk4 Complete kit is configured to accommodate the engine of your choice. You get full tubular 4-into-1 headers, side exhaust with brackets, gaskets, and fasteners, and engine and transmission mounts.
Summit Racing selected a 31-spline 10.375-inch driveshaft to work with Tremec TKO 500 or 600 transmissions.
Gauges and Dash and Electrical Assembly
You can choose from either vintage/replica or modern gauges to fill out your dash. The complete assembly comes with a covered aluminum dash, dash buttons, toggles and indicator lights, switches (ignition, turn signal, and starter solenoid), and horn. The assembly also includes a padded dash cover, custom-fit wiring harness, battery box relocation kit, and speedometer sending unit.
You can choose a set of Auto Meter Ultra-Light gauges with:
- Oil Pressure Gauge
- Water Temperature Gauge
- Fuel Level Gauge
- Oil Temperature Gauge
Or select a complete set of vintage F5R Replica gauges with:
- Speedometer, reverse read
- Oil Pressure Gauge
- Water Temperature Gauge
- Fuel Level Gauge
Complete Interior Accessories
The interior package includes original-style, metal-framed roadster seats, five-point Simpson harness, complete all-weather carpet set (black), emergency brake boot, rear-view mirror, door latches, shifter handle, knob, and boot, and 14-inch steering wheel.
Exterior Accessories and Lighting
The exterior accessories and lighting package includes:
- Authentic chrome-on-brass vintage windscreen with tinted with side bars and fasteners
- Three-lock set, including T-trunk handle, L-shaped hood handles, matching keys, cam wedges, fasteners, latch pin sleeves and plastic end cap
- License plate light and bracket with fasteners
- 3 1/2-inch Aston roller gas cap, polished cast aluminum with adaptor kit and all fasteners
- Competition hood pins.
- High quality laser-cut aluminum side louvers
- Ceramic F5R badging nose and tail
- Headlamp assemblies, including buckets, halogen headlamps, trim rings, and fasteners (DOT approved).
- Original-style British front amber turn signals, and red rear tail-lights
Complete Pedal Box and Components:
Factory Five also includes a Wilwood pedal box and mounting hardware, master cylinder, clutch quadrant, clutch cable, accelerator pedal and cable, brake line adapters and T-fittings.
Oil Filter Re-locater/Alternate Drive Pulley Assemblies
You also get an oil filter relocation kit with fittings, hoses, barbs, and fasteners. This kit also comes with spin-on engine block adapter, alternator drive pulley, spacer, and pulley wheel, air filter, and six-rib fan belt.
Factory Five also throws in over 1,500 top quality zinc plated, chrome, and stainless steel USS and SAE fasteners-numbered and packed individually by assembly.
That’s what Factory Five provides. See what Summit Racing added in our next post!